Your smile is often one of your most important assets. And in order to have that perfect smile, you may need dental fillings. These have been around for hundreds of years and have been prescribed by dentists through the ages for a variety of dental conditions. In this article, we’ll talk about the top 6 reasons you may need a dental filling.
1. Dental Fillings for Cavities: This is the main reason why dentists prescribe fillings for their patients. If you have multiple small or large cavities, food may be trapped inside them, resulting in halitosis or foul breath. If you suffer from halitosis it’s a sign that something is wrong with your oral health. Only a dentist will be able to tell if you have cavities that require dental fillings. If you have tooth decay that causes cavity formation, your dentist will drill out the affected portion of your tooth, and apply a dental filling.
2. Dental Fillings for small holes in your teeth: In some instances, a patient may have really small holes in multiple teeth that require dental fillings. These holes may not even be cavities and may cause no discomfort or may result in no symptoms. However, these holes need to be filled, as otherwise food particles may get trapped inside them resulting in eventual tooth decay.
3. Dental Fillings for Fractured Teeth: In certain cases, a fractured tooth might require a white, composite dental filling. Some tooth fractures can be caused by inadequate protection of your mouth during contact sports. Also a slip, fall or an auto accident can also cause a tooth fracture, as can old age, or chewing on something hard like a pen or a pencil. While you should always wear a mouthguard when playing sports, if you do have a fractured tooth you may need a dental filling, which is an effective treatment.
4. Dental Fillings for Discolored Teeth: Discolored and stained teeth can result due to extensive exposure to coffee, wine, soda pop, candy, and other acidic foods and beverages. Teeth grinding, also called bruxism can also cause discolored teeth. Some dentists do apply dental fillings to discolored teeth in an attempt to restore the natural color of your teeth.
5. Dental Fillings after loss of tooth structure: If your tooth is damaged, it may not be able to retain its natural structure. In such an instance, you may need a dental filling for that tooth in order to support that tooth and ensure visual uniformity throughout the mouth.
6. Dental Fillings that replace older dental fillings: While dental fillings typically last for several years, sometimes old dental fillings may need to be replaced with newer ones. Over time, white fillings can become discolored or the bond between the filling and the tooth can break down. Silver fillings may also break down after many years. Your dentist will recommend that you replace older dental fillings with newer ones, if necessary.
These are the top 6 reasons why you may need dental fillings. At the Tacoma Dental Group, we specialize in inserting dental fillings for our patients. There are many types of filling materials available, each with their advantages and disadvantages. You can consult with Dr. Lo, who will recommend the best options for restoring your damaged teeth.
So, the next time you think you need a dental filling, consult with the Tacoma Dental Group for a personalized experience tailor-made for your dental condition and complaint. Here’s to restoring your very own, million-dollar smile!